Plant-Based, Organic, Ethical Hairdressing - Oh My!

Wednesday, October 05, 2016
My favourite thing from blogging all these years is now being given the opportunity to go to events and discover exciting new businesses and brands. And I love it even more when it's an inspiring lady behind it all! I was so excited when I got invited to The Blonde & The Bear's launch, which boasted live music, tapas, cocktails and beauty treatments - I couldn't have asked for anything better on a Friday night after a long week!


But what is The Blonde & The Bears, you ask? Well, the lovely Dominique - who is at the forefront of the business - kindly took the time to answer some of my burning questions!

How would you describe The Blonde & The Bears to someone who has never been before?

We are a fresh thinking hair salon with high end results using plant based products and colour from the Aveda brand. Coming to our salon is more like a spa visit with your friend -  you will be treated to a head massage, Aveda teas and made to feel really welcome while we tend to your hair.

When & why did you start the salon?

I opened The Blonde & The Bears in February 2016. Since starting in hairdressing, my goal was to have my own salon. I've trained and worked in two of London's top salons (Billy & Bo in Soho and The Painted Lady in Shoreditch). I wanted to bring a salon with more of an edge to our lovely part of world. Where we are based, Cedar Farm in Mawdesley (about 1hr from Liverpool), has over 25 different independent businesses and a good, quirky feel so I knew having grown up nearby that this would be the perfect place for the salon.



What are Dominique's go-to hair essentials?

Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment; we always recommend our guests to be doing a treatment at least once a week, especially for coloured hair. This treatment is made from quinoa, which is protein and makes your hair feel so good.

Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer; any of our curly guests will swear by this stuff, you use it when your hair is damp. Simply twizzle or scrunch in and diffuse or leave your hair to dry naturally and get luscious frizz free curls.

Aveda Air Control Hair Spray; it's a light hairspray so doesn't weight your hair down or go sticky - it smells absolutely divine too.


Dominique (centre) and friends enjoying gin cocktails provided by Bill's!


At the party, guests were offered cocktails and food on arrival. I had the Bill's bramble gin cocktail, tortilla and pizza (diet...what diet??) which were all bloomin' delicious. I have been a big fan of Bill's since I visited for the first time many years ago in Brighton - so whenever I get the occasion to go again, I take it! It's one of my favourite restaurants in the UK which I'd highly recommend - the food is notorious for being jaw-drop-dribble amazing but after this event I've realised the drink is on point too! 


The evening was spent mingling and listening to the lovely live music (thank you Meghann & Tom!), enjoying manyyyy more slices of pizza and getting a manicure. Can you tell how happy I was?! Very, btw.



Lea, one of the lovely girls from The Blonde & Bear's gave me the full salon experience providing me with a head and hand massage. The head massage involved Shakra were you pick a card of the word that you are drawn to, and after choosing, she picks the scent accordingly and sprays it around you before the massage. I've never felt so relaxed, like, I was actually almost falling asleep - relaxed. I can't wait to return to get my hair done, and be pampered again!


The salon is beautiful inside with a fresh and relaxed vibe. I know sometimes going to the hairdresser can be a bit, ahem, stressful for some what with all the noise around you and uncertainty about getting your hair chopped/coloured but I can assure you that at The Blonde & The Bears, it will be a completely different, more enjoyable and 100% relaxing experience with fantastic results - just check out some of their fabulous clients on their Facebook page here!


Lastly, I asked Dominique what her favourite thing is about running the salon...

I love being around amazing women, the best thing to come from the salon (apart from all the lovely hair!) is meeting lots of talented woman who have been drawn to us. I feel honored to be part of a growing movement of creative women helping each other.

Well, amen to that!

PS. Shout out to my lovely pal Una for taking these photos since I lost my SD card, you're a star and a big thank you to Story for the invite and getting me along to event!

videos