The Film Club #1

Wednesday, February 03, 2016
I've decided to introduce something a little 'new' to the blog- The Film Club...and everyone's a member (#cheesy)! Being a film student I'm seeing lots of new films all the time and I recently became a member of the FACT (read more about FACT here), my local cinema, where I can get discounts of films, see one free film a month and more...as my maw said, it was a no brainer to join really, with cinema tickets being so expensive these days- memberships are the way forward for avid cinema-goers. Anyway I figured my blog would be a great place to share my love for film.

So, every so often, I'll share with you some films I've seen that I've really enjoyed and I think you should see too. Here's to the film club #1!


The Hateful Eight

Already a big fan of Tarantino's work, I was of course so excited to see he was bringing out his eighth film and jumped at the chance to see it. It was everything I expected from Tarantino and more - blood, violence, a perfectly chosen cast and great cinematography. In my opinion, it was quite a slow starter and was heavy on dialogue but the story picked up the pace towards the middle and kept you on the edge of your seat till the very end. Jennifer Jason Leigh was by far my favourite character who's Oscar nomination is so well deserved. It was funny, disturbing in places and bloody.


Room

Intense is the word I used to describe Room the most. I'd only seen the trailer prior to viewing and didn't quite know what to expect from it but it completely blew me away. Room had my heart racing in moments, which I think is the first time a film has ever done so, it had me nearly crying at times and laughing at others. It was a beautiful representation of the novel by Emma Donoghue which leaves you feeling more grateful for the world and people around you. Jacob Tremblay, only aged 9, is one of the best child actors I've ever seen. Prepare for an emotional rollercoaster!


The Danish Girl

The Danish Girl ticked all the boxes- acting, cinematography, story, dialogue, costume, set- everything was spot on. As many know it is the true story about Lili Elbe, the transgender women previously known as Einar Wegener and her journey of becoming a woman and the struggles she faced. It is both a beautiful and tragic story which showed the difficulties Lili faced in admitting the truth to her wife and those around her about her change of identity.


Lobster

The film title itself is weird, right? Then I watched the trailer which re-affirmed how weird I thought it sounded, but I was curious to know more. The film was in fact, as bizarre as the title and trailer suggested but so much more enjoyable than I had expected. Yorgos Lanthimos's English language debut Lobster told the story of David, a widowed man, who lives in a dystopian future where single people are taken to "The Hotel" where they must find a romantic partner in 45 days or must choose an animal in which they will be transformed into and sent off into the woods. We follow the journey of David's 45 days in "The Hotel" and the people he meets and it is wickedly funny and sarcastic. Lanthimos pokes fun at the stigma around being single and in a couple and leaves you seeing things in a completely different light. The whole audience were in hysterics, a must see.

videos